Friday, February 5, 2016

Chicken a la Criolla - #29daysseducedbybruce - Day 2 of 29

I'm not sure what a "Criolla" is supposed to mean in this context.  According to Uncle Google, it can mean a name of several grape varieties found in Argentina...there are no grapes in this recipe; it can mean a South American version of Salsa composed of sliced onions cilantro, pickled beats, boiled potatoes, avocado, chili peppers, and tomatoes...there were no beats, potatoes, or avocado; or it could simply mean "local cuisine".

In any case, Day 2 of 29 was Chicken a la Criolla.  Again, the family ate it up.  It was tasty.  Jed and I had the same reaction, "it was good, but not something I would immediately think of when you ask me what I want for dinner."  I, honestly, found it to be a bit bland, but remember I have an addiction to salt, so my taste buds may be a bit skewed.  It was super simple to throw together, and anything the kids like is a win.  I would only give this 3.5 out of 5 stars though.  If you happen to make it, let me know your thoughts.


Crock Pot Chicken a la Criolla

Makes: 5 servings

Ingredients

10 skinless boneless chicken thighs, fat trimmed
1 small onion, diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 bell pepper, chopped or sliced
4 plum tomatoes 
2 tbsp alcaparrado or pitted spanish olives 
8 oz can tomato sauce 
1/4 tsp oregano 
1/4 tsp cumin 
salt to taste 
1 bay leaf 
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Notes / Directions


Place chicken, onion, garlic, pepper and tomatoes in the crock pot. Season with salt, cumin and oregano. Mix well so everything is seasoned.


Add tomato sauce, alcaparrado (or olives) along with 1 tbsp of the brine, 1/2 cup water, bay leaf and cilantro. Mix well and set crock pot to HIGH 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours. When done, taste for salt and seasoning and adjust spices as needed. Add 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro and serve over rice.
*Serve over 3/4 cup white or brown cooked rice for a satisfying 9 points plus meal.



0 comments: