Friday, February 5, 2016

Baked Potatoes - #29daysseducedbybruce - Day 3 of 29

Today couldn't have been more simple.  Baked potatoes and a Caesar salad.  When I first discovered how much money I was wasting going out to eat each month and put the kabash on eating out, one of the first things I made at home was baked potatoes in the crock pot.  My work wife was all like, "how's that easier than in the oven" and I said, "I want dinner ready when I get home, not an hour after I get home."  She hit back, "Well then how is it easier than in the microwave?"  I said, "I want a potato that's cooked all the way through.  Not scalding on the first 1/4 inch and then still hard in the center (HONK!)".  She looked like she had just seen Jesus.  She also called her mom and told her she wanted a Bruce!

Jed was dubious the first time I made this.  His response, "Let me get this straight.  For dinner you made potatoes, for a kid who hates all forms of potatoes?"  Yes, it's true. This jerk...


hates every form of potato known to man.  It's embarrassing having a child that thinks french fries and tater tots taste like ass on wheat.  It's more embarrassing that he thinks mashed potatoes are "disgusting".  Sometimes I wonder where we went wrong with him.  But I told Jed, "He'll either eat it, or go to bed hungry."  

And guess what?  NOT ONLY did he eat it, but he finished before anyone else and said, "Holy shit cakes, Pops, that was 'THE BEST FOOD you've ever cooked'."  NOT.EVEN.MAKING.IT.UP.

So this is the portion of our program where I usually post the recipe.  But you can LITERALLY put anything you want on your potato.  Left over BBQ pulled pork, add it.  Broccoli, be your own boss.  Bacon, why not?  Fruity Pebbles, I ain't here to judge.  JUST DON'T FORGET THE BUTTER!


The basic "recipe" is this:

Crock Pot Baked Potatoes

4 large Bakers
  • Wash your taters.
  • Rub them with just a smidge of your favorite oil.  COOKING OIL, perves.
  • Sprinkle them with a handful of salt (or less, if you care about your heart)
  • poke some holes with them with a spork
  • wrap them up in foil
Then put them in your crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours.  

We loaded ours up traditional style with some fresh fried bacon, butter, sour cream, broccoli, cheddar.  Served it up with a side of pre-bagged Caesar mix.  We've now made it a go-to Wednesday night meal...sort of like Taco Tuesday, but better.  And, if you cook an extra tater, you can take it to lunch the next day.  

0 comments: