Sunday, January 4, 2009

Rachel Ray is the spawn of Santa

One of the things I hate about Rachel Ray, besides everything, is the amount of dishes her recipes take to make. I’ve blogged in the past about what a crock of pooh her “30-minute recipes” are. While they might be tasty, they certainly take more than 30 minutes to make…unless you happen to have a staff of sous chefs waiting at your beckon call with all your chopped up veggies and meats and stuff.

Jed’s mom bought me Rachel’s “Big Orange Book” for Christmas and I’ve made a couple of the recipes this weekend. Tasty, yes. But the clean-up has taken a better part of the weekend for each meal. I didn’t get a photo of the first dinner, but I did catch the aftermath.

Saturday night’s dinner was Shepherd’s pie with a grilled shrimp tomato salad with a horseradish yogurt dressing. The dinner was delicious. The dishes were a pain in the ass.

Shep

Tonight I made a Philly Cheesesteak macaroni and cheese with a Romaine/pepper/artichoke salad drizzled with a balsamic vinegarette dressing. Again, the food was the bomb digity bomb bomb, but seriously, can’t Rachel cook anything without using every pot/dish/utensil in my house?

mac dish

Was it worth it?

Mac

You betcha.

Another thing I’ve noticed is her book is full of errors. Both recipes I’ve made from her book had errors. For example, in the Shepherd’s pie I was supposed to start by crisping 5 pieces of bacon and then set aside. Done. But nowhere in the rest of the recipe did it say where it was supposed to be added back in. I ended up crumbling it up and sticking it in the meat mixture…but in hindsight, I wish I would have crumbled it up and mixed it in with the bleu cheese mashed potatoes before putting it all up under the broiler. Next time, the bacon is going in the mashed potatoes. Tonight’s dinner called for 2 cups of shredded Provolone cheese. In the Bechamel it called to mix 1 ½ cups of the shredded cheese with the sauce. Then for the grand finale it called to “spread the remaining 1 ½ cups of shredded provolone” over the top of the mac before putting it under the broiler. My 4.0 tells me that 1 ½ and 1 ½ equals THREE cups, not two. You’d think the devil would have better editors.

3 comments:

Nessa said...

Her recipes are ful of errors! I made a squash caaerole for Christmas eve and the ingredients called for something...I don't remember. But when it came time to put it in the oven, I noticed I still had it sitting on the counter and no where in the recipe to use it. Didn't get to eat said dish because the oven crapped out. Bwa bwa bwaaaaa!

Anonymous said...

I don't care about the clean-up..dats Mark's job.
It looks... oh do I dare say it? Yum-O :)

Unknown said...

As the cooker and cleaner, if it takes more than 2 dishes for me to make a dish for 2 people. FUCK IT!

that said that woman is awful and more useless than "doctor" phil or tits on a bull.

I try to make dishes that are simple and use one or two pans and microwave one bowl at most. veggies get microwaved but I also depend on lean cuisine.